Friday, April 4, 2008

25 Years Later: McCain's 'Sorry'

25 years ago, Sen. McCain (simply Rep. McCain at the time) voted against proposed legislation to observe a MLK Holiday. 25 years later, on the 40th anniversary of King's assasination, speaking from Memphis, McCain apologized for his 1983 vote.

What compelled McCain to go to Memphis and make amends?


"Because we were invited," McCain said. "Because I was invited to attend. So we accepted the invitation. That’s, that’s all."

Oh, what sincerity! After 25 years and only when he has secured the nomination and is invited to Memphis does McCain decide to apologize. How politically genuine.

But, how does McCain explain the fact that he voted against the holiday to begin with?
"Well. I voted in my first, I think it was my first year in Congress, against that," McCain said. "Then I began to learn. And I studied and people talked to me, and I not only supported it, but I fought very hard in my home state of Arizona for recognition against a governor who was of my own party…"

"Began to learn"???
"I learned all that this individual was a transcendent figure in American history," McCain said. "He deserved to be honored. And I...thought it was appropriate to do so. And my home state of Arizona, I was not proud that we were one of the last states to recognize Dr. King’s birthday as a holiday. I was pleased to be part of the fight for that recognition."

And, exactly how is it that an American politician in 1983 (15 years after King's assasination) could be so out of touch with the impact that King had on society?

"I had not really been involved in the issue," McCain said. "I just had not had a lot of experience in the issue."

McCain was never going to receive more than 5% of the black vote anyway, but King's legacy extends to all of society, not just the black community. Clearly, this something McCain did not (and still doesn't?) understand.

As for McCain's decision to graciously accept the invitation to Memphis, he may have some regrets.

See how the crowd received McCain:

(And, as Will Thomas points out, the image of a black man holding an umbrella over McCain's head while he gave the speech didn't exactly complement the moment.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like how he tries to spin it to suggest that MLK woulda supported his whole war = patriotism angle

Anonymous said...

Amazing commentary on McCain. You've dissected and confronted McCain's record on this "sorry" history in a very compelling manner. Thanks.

Can't wait until McCain's tour around America gets to Irvine California and confronts his involvement with the Keating Five scandal.